Wednesday 13 May 2015

How to read a Moodboard: The Darkness of the Wild West




I feel like I've been given my creative freedom back! I have some exciting projects in the pipeline which means I get to spread my artistic wings and start designing. People use a mood boards for a variety of things, especially in the fashion industry and some are easier to understand than others. 
As a bit of industry insight on mood boards, here is an example of a board for a shoot I have coming up with a break down on how to read it.

Click here to see the rest of this post.


 The idea came from listening to song from the film 'Exodus:Gods and Kings'. I started imagining this barren land of dirt and sand, which led onto thinking of people in the desert. 

Nostalgia kicked in and I thought of me playing with my toys as a child. I began to imagine gun slinging cowboys battling under dark, clouded skies in tones of sepia. Clean camera shots of close up boots with spiky spurs, kicking through dirt and sand. This relates to the size of the cowboys and painted horse. 

On the board you will see a faded image of a naked woman with shutter shadows over her body. I love the tone between the light and dark, especially across her skin and I'm hoping we can incorporate that in the shoot. 

The reasoning behind the desk is more of a point of texture as opposed to the desk itself. It's the collaboration of textures that I found particularly appealing. The variety of wood, dull metal and fur aid each other harmoniously. This will be my referencing point when it comes to pulling in clothes for colour and feel.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...