Wednesday 9 January 2013

“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars | Exclusive.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

'We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars' is a famous quote from Irish writer and poet, Oscar Wilde. It is a quote that has had me pondering a few occassions. 
I became so intrigued I decided to put together an editorial based on my opinion.



I believe it is a quote based on achieving. 'We are all in the gutter', when we come into this life the majority of cases we are all placed at the same starting line.
It is how we develop ourselves that counts.

I styled it based upon this idea. The first look is to showcase the look of the everyday norm, especially what I see in and around Cardiff. I took the looks of today's teens and used goods from high-street brands such as Topshop capturing that modern grunge/hipster trend.


But as our look evolves we take shape into a more structured image with tailoring and dashing white with embellishment. A symbol of stature and status. 'But some of us are looking at the stars' to me is a sign of wanting to achieve. Someone who knows they have the potential to develop and grow. That why I changed the styling to make the image more stronger, rigid yet glamorous.

As for the overall setting of the shoot I wanted to capture two different scenes, the first scene is from a disused office space. Looking back now this may come across a little Cliche but I originally liked the colouring from the brick, and the red graffiti gave it an urban edge that clashed well against the clothing.

The second scene we chose to shoot at a bridge. I liked the industrial concept. I liked the robustness from the metallic and it seemed to compliment the white blazer giving it that edge. I love the shot where Steph is tucking her hair and you see the last of the fading sky in the background.

Overall I am pleased with the shoot. I have never setup, styled and directed an editorial that was for a single female model. I have learnt alot from doing editorial.  
keep a look out for my next one! 

I would like to thank Gethin Nadin, Stephanie Price and Nicola Andriola for their help and expertise.

Art Direction: Owen Moss-Proctor
Photography: Gethin Nadin
Model: Stephanie Price
Hair & Makeup: Nicola Andriola

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...